QLogic iSCSI PCI-X Single Port HBA Card QLA4050C
SANs with Ethernet and IP: iSCSI
IT managers now have a choice when considering SAN management options. The QLA4050, QLA4050C, and QLA4052C (collectively referred to as the QLA405x) iSCSI HBAs provide connectivity to SANs over Ethernet and TCP/IP network infrastructures (switches, routers, and VPN appliances). Using a widely deployed and familiar networking technology, iSCSI can lower the total cost of ownership to better manage and support storage networking.
Networking and Storage Performance
By offloading the iSCSI and TCP/IP protocol to the adapter, the QLA405x eliminates the processing, interrupts, and bus accesses required to support protocols in host software. The QLA405x virtually eliminates the host CPU system processing required for iSCSI and TCP/IP, delivering the equivalent initialization and host processing performance of direct attach storage (DAS) and Fibre Channel (FC) SANs.
Point-and-click installation and configuration wizards simplify the HBA setup process. Storage administrators can quickly deploy HBAs across a SAN using standard HBA management tools and device utilities. The QLA405x is also fully compatible with industry standard application programming interfaces (APIs), thereby allowing administrators to manage QLogic HBAs using third-party software applications.
Familiar Storage Functionality
By offloading the iSCSI protocol, the QLA405x uses the existing storage interface of the operating system. Using a familiar storage interface allows the QLA405x to support proven LUN and target level fail-over functionality, storage SAN boot, and existing SAN management and application software.
Comprehensive Operating System (OS) Support
QLogic offers the broadest range of support for all major operating systems to ensure OS and hardware server compatibility. Drivers are fully tested with industry-recognized certifications from all the major operating systems including WindowsÂ®, LinuxÂ®, and Solaris. A single driver strategy per OS allows storage administrators to easily deploy, configure, and manage HBAs in heterogeneous SAN configurations.
Guaranteed Interoperability Storage partner certifications, combined with agency and regulatory testing, ensures that all products meet world compliance hardware and software specifications. All HBAs are tested extensively with third-party hardware, along with multiple software applications, to ensure best-in-class SAN interoperability and compatibility. You can be confident purchasing QLogic HBAs to meet your storage networking needs.
- Networking and storage functionality for iSCSI, network attached storage (NAS), clustering, multimedia, distributed network applications, and web-serving
- Jumbo frames, 802.3x flow control, 802.1p priority service, and 802.1Q VLAN Ethernet networking
- Low-profile PCI form factor
- Universal iSCSI SAN boot for true remote storage boot implementations
- Storage reliability with iSCSI digests, ECC memory, and overlapping data path parity
- JTAG boundary scan, full scan, and memory built-in self-test (BIST)
- Highly integrated, low power design
- Microsoft WindowsÂ® management interface (MS WMI) compliant for standards based management
- Complete iSCSI and TCP/IP offload for enhanced performance
- Auto-negotiated 100/1000 Mbps line rate data transfer
- PCI-X 133-MHz backward-compatible with 32/64-bit, 33/66-MHz PCI
Host Bus Interface SpecificationsBus interface 64-bit, 133/100/66-MHz PCI-X and 32/64-bit, 33/66-MHz PCISignal voltage 3.3V (QLA4050) or Universal (3.3V/5V) (QLA405xC HBAs only)
Hardware platforms IA32 (x86), EM64T, AMD Opteron 64, SUN SPARCCompliance Conforms to PCI Local Bus Specification, revision 2.3, PCI-X Specification, revision 1.0b, PCI-X Electrical and Mechanical Addendum, revision 2.0a to the PCI Local Bus Specification, PCI Bus Power Management Interface Specification, revision 1.1, PCI Hot Plug Specification, revision 1.0
iSCSI, TCP/IP, and Ethernet SpecificationsData rate 100/1000 MbpsThroughput 1 Gbps full-duplex line rate
Topology Any Ethernet networkiSCSI RFC 3347: iSCSI Requirements and Design Considerations, CHAP, iSNS, SLP
TCP/IP Complete state-based TCP/IP offload, RFC791: Internet Protocol Specification (IPv4), RFC793; Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) Specification, RFC1122; Requirements for Internet Hosts Communication Layers, RFC1323; TCP Extensions for High Performance, RFC2581; TCP Congestion ControlEthernet 1500 bytes or 9000 bytes (jumbo)
- QLA4050C/QLA4050: One
- QLA4052C: Two Connections
- QLA4050C/QLA4052C: RJ45 for copper connector
- QLA4050: Small form factor fixed (SFF) multimode optic with LC-style connector
Form factor Low-profile MD2: 16.93 cm Ã— 5.15 cm (6.7 in. Ã— 2.5 in.)Bracket size
- Standard: 1.84 cm Ã— 12.08 cm (.73 in. Ã— 4.76 in.)
- Low-profile: 1.84 cm Ã— 8.01 cm (.73 in. Ã— 3.15 in.)
Environment and Equipment Specifications Airflow 100 LFM (0.5 m/sec) Temperature
- Operating: 0Â°C/32Â°F to 55Â°C/131Â°F
- Storage: -20Â°C/-4Â°F to 70Â°C/158Â°F Humidity
- Relative (non-condensing): 10% to 90%
- Storage: 5% to 95% Power dissipation
- QLA4050C: 7.5 W
- QLA4052C: 8.5 W
- QLA4050: 7.0 W
RoHS compliant Yes, RoHS-6
- QLA4050C/QLA4052C: 100 meters, category 5e/6 UTP
- QLA4050: 500 meters 50/125 Âµm fiber, 220 meters 62.5/125 Âµm fiber
Tools and Utilities Management tools SANsurferÂ® iSCSI HBA ManagerDevice utilities Command line interface; utilities for flashing BIOS and firmware
Boot support BIOS, FCodeAPIs MS WMI
Operating systems* WindowsÂ® Server 2003; Windows 2000; Windows XP, Solaris 9, 10; LinuxÂ® Red HatÂ® AS 3.0, 4.0; Linux SuSEÂ® SLES 8, 9, 10; VMware ESX 3.0.1